Non-Medical Expenditures of Health Insurance Companies in 2022
May 11, 2023
- Expenditures on “Salaries & Wages” grew by nearly $4 billion (B) in 2022, an increase of 8.6% compared to 2021. Insurers spent $38.9B on the same category in 2018, compared to $50.3B in 2022.
- “Outsourced Services” expenses, including electronic data processing (EDP), claims, and other services, have increased by over a billion dollars a year since at least 2018, with the biggest growth occurring from 2021 to 2022, where it grew by almost $1.6B, or 8.9%.
- “Commissions” expenditures have increased by 59.6% (almost $5.7B) since 2018, with the largest increase being in the most recent 2022 filings: nearly $2.1B in growth (a 15.7% increase), compared to $806.6B in 2018, $1.1B in 2020, and $1.7B in 2021.
- “Other Expenses” includes line-items such as Legal Fees & Expenses (up $215.8 million, or 31.9%, from 2021), Marketing & Advertising (up $474.7 million, or 14.9%), and Auditing, Actuarial, and Consulting Fees (up $1.4B, or 23.4%, since 2021).
- The combined totals of “Taxes, Licenses, and Fees,” excluding federal income taxes and representing 15% of health insurance companies’ non-medical expenses, increased by 14.1%, nearly $2.3B, from 2021 to 2022. The biggest change was from “State premium taxes”, which accounted for $848.2 million of that growth.
About the Data
The data used in this analysis brief was obtained from Mark Farrah Associates' Health Coverage Portal™ database and sourced from health insurance companies reporting through the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners) via the Annual Analysis of Expenses – Underwriting and Investment Exhibit: Part 3 (NAIC). This analysis excludes a small number of plans that have not yet filed 2022 Annual data.
About Mark Farrah Associates (MFA)
Mark Farrah Associates (MFA) is a leading data aggregator and publisher providing health plan market data and analysis tools for the healthcare industry. Our product portfolio includes Health Coverage Portal™, County Health Coverage™, 5500 Employer Health plus, Medicare Business Online™, Medicare Benefits Analyzer™, and Health Plans USA™. For more information about these products, refer to the informational videos and brochures available under the Our Products section of the website or call 724-338-4100.
Healthcare Business Strategy is a FREE brief that presents analysis of important issues and developments affecting healthcare business today. If you would like to be added to our email distribution list, please submit your email to the "Subscribe to MFA Briefs" section at the bottom of this page.