Mark Farrah Associates Assessed Individual Health Insurance Enrollment Comparisons and Competitor Insights

Business Wire


August 27, 2019


MCMURRAY, Pa.--()--Mark Farrah Associates (MFA),, released an analysis brief providing insights into individual health insurance market trends with state-by-state membership comparisons. Mark Farrah Associates reported enrollment in individual, non-group medical plans totaled 15.2 million as of March 2019, representing a 3.9% decline from the 15.8 million members in March 2018. According to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) reports combined with data from MFA’s Health Coverage Portal™, 75.4% of these members were enrolled through the exchanges at first quarter 2019 with the remaining 24.6% of this segment enrolled in off-exchange plans.

  • Centene, Guidewell Mutual Holding Group (the parent company of Blue Cross Blue Shield affiliates operating in Florida), Kaiser and Anthem all reported more than 1 million individual medical covered lives as of first quarter 2019.
  • Based on statutory financial statements filed by health insurers, carriers collectively reported underwriting gains of almost $7.9 billion in the individual segment in 2018; a surprising difference from the $1.7 billion reported in 2017.
  • As of first quarter 2019, plans have shown signs of reduced profitability over that seen in 2018. Growth in premiums PMPM has stagnated while medical expense PMPM have continued to increase. The aggregate medical expense ratio stands at 72.1%, up from 68% in 1Q18.

To read the full text of "Current Trends in Individual Segment Enrollment," visit the Analysis Briefs library on Mark Farrah Associates' website.

About Mark Farrah Associates (MFA)

MFA is a leading data aggregator and publisher providing health plan market data and analysis tools for the healthcare industry. Committed to simplifying analysis of health insurance business, our products include Medicare Business Online™, Medicare Benefits Analyzer™, Health Coverage Portal™, County Health Coverage™, and Health Plans USA™. Mark Farrah Associates maintains financial data as well as enrollment and market share for the health insurance industry in its subscription-based Health Coverage Portal™. MFA will continue to monitor enrollment changes and competitive shifts across all healthcare segments. You can also follow us on LinkedIn.


Mark Farrah Associates 
Ann Marie Wolfe,

Request Information

Thank you for your interest. Please send us your email and we will contact you
within 1-2 business days.