Mark Farrah Associates Assesses Fourth Quarter 2017 Health Insurance Enrollment Trends
MCMURRAY, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Based on membership data filed with statutory financial reports from the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners), the CA DMHC (California Department of Managed Health Care), as well as data from Mark Farrah Associates’ (MFAs’) Administrative Services Only (ASO) estimates, insurance companies provided medical coverage for over 265.2 million people, as of December 31, 2017. In the latest Healthcare Business Strategy report, MFA compared enrollment trends by segment between 4th quarter 2016 and 4th quarter 2017. The latest trends indicate membership gains in Medicare Advantage and Managed Medicaid, but year-over-year declines in the Individual/Non-Group and Employer Group Risk. Employer Group ASO (administrative services only) business remained relatively flat between 2016 and 2017.
The following are key findings from Mark Farrah Associates' assessment of year-over-year fourth quarter enrollment trends:
- Approximately 15.6 million people are currently enrolled in Individual, Non-group medical plans, representing a 10% decrease between 4Q16 and 4Q17.
- Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) now provide coverage for approximately 50 million beneficiaries, representing 1% growth, year-over-year. According to CMS reports, over 74.04 million people rely on Medicaid as their source of health insurance coverage as of January 2018.
- Fourth quarter membership in Medicare Advantage (MA) plans increased to over 20.6 million as of December 31, 2017, from 18.4 million in the prior year.
- Employer Group Risk membership declined by 402,000 members, year-over-year.
- According to MFA’s recent estimates, Employer Group ASO membership was approximately 119.8 million, an increase of over 319,000 members from December 2016 to December of 2017.
Market analysts throughout the industry rely on enrollment data and segment performance metrics to gain better insights into health plan market share and competitive positioning. Mark Farrah Associates maintains financial data as well as enrollment and market share for the health insurance industry in its subscription-based Health Coverage Portal™. MFA will continue to monitor enrollment changes and competitive shifts across all healthcare segments.
To read the full text of "Year-End Trends in Health Insurance Enrollment and Segment Performance Insights", visit the Analysis Briefs library on Mark Farrah Associates' website.
About Mark Farrah Associates (MFA)
MFA is a leading data aggregator and publisher providing health plan market data and analysis tools for the healthcare industry. Committed to simplifying analysis of health insurance business, our products include Medicare Business Online™, Medicare Benefits Analyzer™, Health Coverage Portal™, County Health Coverage™, and Health Plans USA™.
Mark Farrah Associates
Ann Marie Wolfe, firstname.lastname@example.org