Mark Farrah Associates Assessed Second Quarter Health Enrollment Trends
MCMURRAY, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In the latest Healthcare Business Strategy report, Mark Farrah Associates (MFA), www.markfarrah.com, assessed year-over-year enrollment trends, comparing 2nd quarter 2015 with 2nd quarter 2016 segment membership. Analysis of data from the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners), the CA DMHC (California Department of Managed Health Care) and MFA's ASO estimates indicated an ongoing decline in the Individual Non-Group segment, reflecting adverse impacts of the Affordable Care Act, and a slowing pace of growth in the Employer Group Risk segment. Meanwhile, plans with Medicare Advantage, Managed Medicaid and ASO (administrative services only) businesses continued to experience growth between June 30, 2015 and June 30, 2016.
Based on membership data filed with statutory financial reports, insurance companies provided medical coverage for approximately 262 million people, as of June 30, 2016. While the Employer Group ASO and the Employer Group Risk segments continue to dominate in terms of total membership, growth was most significant in the Managed Medicaid segment as 3.8 million more members joined state-subsidized plans between 2Q15 and 2Q16. The following are key findings from Mark Farrah Associates' assessment of year-over-year second quarter enrollment trends.
- More than 19.3 million people are currently enrolled in Individual, Non-Group medical plans, according to the latest reported membership, representing a 3% decrease between 2Q15 and 2Q16.
- Managed Medicaid now provides coverage for almost 48.3 million beneficiaries, representing a 9% increase, year-over-year. Note that other types of plans also compete in the Medicaid segment and submit special performance reports to the state but are not required to file NAIC statutory financial statements.
- Second quarter membership in Medicare Advantage (MA) plans increased to nearly 18 million as of June 30, 2016, from 17.4 million the prior year.
- Employer Group Risk membership declined by just 1% from 59.9 million to 59.3 million.
- According to MFA's recent estimates, employer group ASO membership grew by approximately 952,000 to 117 million ASO covered lives by company.
It is likely that significant market changes will occur under the new Trump administration. The future of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the pending mergers and acquisitions and rising health care costs are at the forefront of initial policy discussions. Health plans are working to solidify whatever footholds they have established to continue to innovate, diversify and adapt with the times. As the industry braces for more change, the need for health plan market share and financial performance data has never been greater. MFA will continue to monitor and report on the latest industry developments.
To read the full text of "Mid-Year Health Insurance Enrollment Trends and Market Outlook", visit the Analysis Briefs library on Mark Farrah Associates' website.
About Mark Farrah Associates (MFA)
MFA is a leading data aggregator and publisher providing health plan market data and analysis tools for the healthcare industry. Committed to simplifying analysis of health insurance business, our products include Medicare Business Online™, Medicare Benefits Analyzer™, Health Coverage Portal™, County Health Coverage™, and Health Plans USA™.
Mark Farrah Associates
Ann Marie Wolfe, 412-944-2417