Improved Profit Margins for Leading Blue Cross & Blue Shield Plans in Third Quarter 2017
Mark Farrah Associates
Recent revisions to the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the unforeseen future of health care law have insurers modifying business strategies to achieve stability within the uncertain terrain of the health care landscape. Health plans are consistently evaluating performance measures and assessing competition amongst their industry peers. Over the past few years, many insurers have increased premiums and implemented programs aimed at controlling costs to help improve profitability. Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans are no exception to this planning as carriers plod through ACA requirements and changes. In this edition of Healthcare Business Strategy, Mark Farrah Associates analyzes profit margins of the top Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS) plans, comparing year over year performance as of September 2017, based on data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the California Department of Managed Health Care (CA DMHC) statutory reporting.
The leading BCBS affiliated insurers include GuideWell (BCBS FL), Blue Shield of CA, Anthem, Highmark, Independence Blue Cross (IBX), Health Care Service Corp. (HCSC). These industry leaders reported improved profitability based on available statutory reporting as of September 30, 2017.
Source: Health Coverage Portal™, Mark Farrah Associates, presenting data from NAIC & CA DMHC
- GuideWell's (BCBS FL) profit margin grew to 4.71% from 4.12% in September of 2016 due in part to lower administrative expenses as a percentage of revenue.
- Independence Blue Cross reported a profit margin of .30%, as of September 30, 2017, up from a negative 1.37% in September of 2016 due in part to increased premium revenue per member and reduced spending on administrative costs.
- Blue Shield of CA increased its profit margin to 2.81% from 0.80% due in part to lower administrative expenses as a percentage of revenue.
- Health Care Service Corp’s (HCSC) experienced the largest margin improvement, increasing to 6.10% in 3Q17 from -1.11% in 3Q16 mostly due to revenue, which outpaced the growth of medical costs, along with decreased spending on administrative costs.
- Highmark's leading profit margin of 7.11% jumped from -0.02% in 3Q16 mostly due to lower medical and administrative costs as a percentage of revenue.
- Anthem's 3Q17 profit margin of 4.41% improved from 4.16% a year ago due in part to lower administrative expenses as a percentage of revenue.
Although this analysis shows improved profitability for leading BCBS affiliated insurers in third quarter 2017, it's a wait and see proposition until final annual financial results are revealed this spring. Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans continue to be health insurance leaders. The Blues brand has generated broad-based market appeal for decades as its influence on the healthcare industry is a testament to the success of its business model. While the political debate surrounding health care law has certainly caused concern, many insurers continue to move forward and adapt to the changing healthcare environment. Mark Farrah Associates will continue to analyze and report on important health insurance performance and related topics. Stay tuned for future analysis briefs with valuable insights about the health care industry.
About Mark Farrah Associates (MFA)
Mark Farrah Associates (MFA) is a leading provider of health plan market data and analysis tools for the healthcare industry. If your company relies on accurate assessments of health plan market share to support business planning, we encourage you to contact us to learn more about our products. Our portfolio includes Health Coverage Portal™, County Health Coverage™, Medicare Business Online™, Medicare Benefits Analyzer™ and Health Plans USA™ - - www.markfarrah.com.
Healthcare Business Strategy is a FREE monthly brief that presents analysis of important issues and developments affecting healthcare business today. If you aren't on our email distribution list, click here to subscribe now.
Mark Farrah Associates
How to Request Permission to Link, Cite or Reprint Information from the Mark Farrah Associates Web Site
© Copyright 1997-2018. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use is prohibited. Healthcare Business Strategy™ is the product of Mark Farrah Associates. No part of this product may be reproduced, in any form or by any means, including posting in its entirety in blogs or other media applications, without permission in writing from Mark Farrah Associates - (724) 338-4100.